Vegan French Toast with Caramelized Peaches
My first attempt at vegan styled French toast was a delicious success! I’ve been making vegan pancakes for quite some time now, but I was dubious about leaving the eggs out of a recipe that is basically just bread dipped in eggs. After extensive recipe research, I finally settled on a mixture of standard items in my kitchen pantry and just went for it. And boy am I glad I did! I ended up with so much batter that I was able to make it two days in a row, so the second day I decided to take it a step further and make a caramelized peach topping which was simply divine!
French Toast Ingredients:
- 2 cups vanilla almond milk
- 4 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp applesauce
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed (I used Trader Joe’s Flax Seeds with Blueberries)
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- Sliced bread (I used Trader Joe’s vegan Whole Wheat Tuscan Pane)
- Preheat large frying pan on medium heat and coat with either oil or vegan margarine
- Mix all ingredients together (except the bread, obviously…) in a wide diameter bowl, blending until smooth
- Dip bread slices in mixture so that each side is well coated, but do not over soak bread
- Fry each side until toasted to a golden brown. This may take longer to achieve than you anticipate, so be patient. I found that the mixture has much more of a pancake like consistency and tends to stick to the pan, but with a longer cooking time it eventually firms up, so don’t panic. I noticed that it seemed to cook better in my EarthPan than my GreenGourmet pan, but your mileage my vary.
- ½ cup vegan sugar (I used SweetTree Evaporated Coconut Palm Sugar)
- ¼ cup water
- 4 peaches, sliced
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine
- Preheat heavy skillet on medium heat, add water and sugar
- Stir until sugar dissolves then continue to boil without stirring until mixture is light golden brown
- Reduce heat to simmer, then add margarine and peaches. Cook until peaches are tender (2 minutes or so)
Top the french toast slices with caramelized peaches and enjoy! If you decide to skip the peach topping, then may I suggest using Maple Flavored Agave Syrup as your topping. YUM!